I am going to be very direct on each ingredient, so here we go:
1. Sulfates- Normally found in cleaning agents like shampoo. Sulfates are used for cleaning the hair and removing dirt and oil from the scalp. HOWEVER, sulfates have the tendency to remove too much of our natural oils from our scalp leaving our hair dry, stripped, and thirsty! Instead try different shampoos that are on the market like organic shampoos, Hair One (found at Sally's), or the old Cream of Nature shampoos (not the orange bottels). If you still feel the need to use sulfate shampoos then just make sure you are moisturizing your hair so that it won't get too dry.
2. Mineral Oil- Found in hair lotions, conditioners, and leave-ins. This product prevents moisture from entering your hair shaft and does not moisturize your hair, it does nothing, but dry your hair out. Instead look for moisturizers, conditioners, or leave-ins with water, coconut oil, olive oil, honey, shea butter, cetyl alcohol, or anything natural. Moisture is key to healthy hair.
3. Patroletum- Also found in hair lotions and leave-ins. Patroletum just sits on the hair and does not moisturize, just like mineral oil. This ingredient if quite similar to putting Vaseline on your hair. YUCK!
4. Dimethecone- Mostly found in hair lotions and conditioners, this is not as bad as mineral oil, but using too much can weigh your hair down and cause build up. I personally don't mind a little dimethecone, one of my favorite conditioners contain dimethecone in the second ingredient so a little is not so bad, but too much will make it hard for moisture or any product to enter your hair strand.
5. Isopropyl Alcohol- Also found in conditioners and probaly some hair lotions, this alcohol is too strong for our hair. This is like putting witch hazel in our hair..not good. This can also be another drying agent to our hair. Stay awayyy!
So I really hope this was informative to you and I hope it will allow you to be more mindful to what you are putting into your hair, if you are already on your hair journey and are looking out for bad ingredients kudos to you!!! I posted a video on youtube dicussing the same info here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLAo0fh5yY Have an awesome day ^-^
-Compliments of Sharmaine369 ♥